After navigating two wedding seasons whilst being pregnant I found it incredibly difficult to find the right outfits to look chic and keep my identity in check. When it comes to wedding season, this year is super exciting – but let’s face it, getting dressed for a wedding is tricky at the best of times let alone with a growing bump.
What’s exciting with this new wave of weddings is that celebrities like Rhianna are giving us a master class in experimental dressing with a baby bump. Rihanna’s experimental high-fashion maternity looks are paving the way to what is hot for 2022 (and it’s not just bodycon or floaty dresses…) think to that iconic moment Rihanna wore black lingerie with a sheer, lace-trimmed cover-up and black patent boots or when The Little Mix girls Leigh-Anne & Perrie nailed it at the 2021 Brits. An inspiration to us all. “Pregnancy is a long nine to 10 months. You have to enjoy it,” Rihanna told Entertainment Tonight – and that’s where we intend to help.
Important things to think about are:
- Going for options with dresses with an empire line that are cut under the bust are the easiest to wear as they’ll be more comfortable.
- Kaftan and smock-style dresses are not only super chic, but are pretty preggo-friendly too.
- Do not be afraid of a bodycon.
- And remember – there’s nothing more beautiful than a baby bump, so don’t feel conditioned to hide away in layers of tulle if that’s not your style.
- Shoes – go for comfort over style! Don’t overestimate how quickly those feet can swell.
- Try it on in a couple of sizes if necessary.
- Accessories – be bold and have fun.
- And finally, why not consider renting? Not only is this better for your purse, but it’s kinder on the environment, too – plus you can borrow a dress from as little as £25, in any size required for your whatever stage of pregnancy you’re at – win-win.
There is no need in this day and age to let maternity clothes put a pregnant pause on your personal style. Here’s our round up below of What to Wear to a Wedding When You’re Pregnant
What to Wear Pregnant
MENG, Pink pagoda silk georgette kaftan, £599.00
CASTAÑER, Carina 80 white canvas wedge espadrilles, £85.00
SEE BY CHLOÉ, Laetizia small raffia shoulder bag, £365.00
BERNADETTE, Georgio floral-print linen maxi dress, £735.00
Super Mariza130 mm Espadrilles – Nappa leather – Leche, 130 MM ESPADRILLES – NAPPA LEATHER – LECHE, £ 695.00
Borgo De Nor floral-print one-shoulder dress, £680
MARNI, Fussbett calf hair sandals, £650.00
GANNI, Ruched floral-print stretch-silk satin midi dress, £262
VIVETTA, Ruffled floral-print stretch-crepe top, £128
CAMILLA, Embellished printed silk-chiffon kaftan, £261
CHRISTIAN LOUBOUTIN, Loubi54 patent leather clutch, £925.00
Related article: Go From Day To Night With Christian Louboutin Beauty