Having worked on magazines in London for several years, Liz moved to Bristol to be the editor of award-winning travel website i-escape.com for 12 years, before co-launching Kip Hideaways with friend Sarah De-Vere Drummond in 2019. Kip is a membership site, and their personal curation of the very best boutique rentals in the UK: small places with soul. Discover the best under the radar rentals below in The Wedding Edition’s 9 Questions with Liz Simpson..
I love working in the travel industry because….
I love discovering new places, hidden gems and different cultures, and sharing my favourite finds. Exploring the world just makes me happy.
Kip Hideaways is best known for…
Finding super stylish, under the radar rentals, where the owners are really passionate about what they’ve created, and their whole aim is that their guests have an amazing, memorable stay. Kip is a really personal community.
My top three tips for any couple planning their honeymoon would be…
- Don’t feel you have to go abroad. There are so many incredible corners of the UK, with breathtaking landscapes and utterly beautiful accommodation. My top tips: Skye and the Isles of Scilly. Check out our Sunrise Cabin in Skye for pure cabin (and location) porn. Sunrise Cabin, Skye – Kip Hideaways
- Book relaxation time at the start, and save adventure for the latter half of your honeymoon. You’re inexplicably shattered after a wedding.
Hulder Cabin is one of the most relaxing places I’ve ever stayed — https://www.kiphideaways.com/hideaways/hulder-cabin-devon
- If money is a concern, rather than trying to cut things from your dream itinerary, go for less time but have the best time. A 10-day honeymoon at your favourite Cornish hotel (or hideaway!), with sunrise paddle-boarding and Michelin-starred meals will be way more fun and memorable than 14 scaled-back nights, worrying about money.
The current travel trends I’m loving are…
- Not flying – taking the train or driving to your holiday, and making it all part of the experience, with playlists, fancy picnics, even extra nights on route.
- Sustainability – so many of the hideaways we work with build and run their properties in such an inspiring eco, conscious way that doesn’t compromise on style or comfort.
Such as Quirky West Wales Cabin – Kip Hideaways, which even has a hot tub.
My favourite off-grid place is…
The Rolling Hill Cabins in Shropshire. These 4 new off-grid cabins are spread over a country estate, with the most beautiful views and setting. Their interiors are stunning, and each has an alfresco copper bathtub for forest bathing. So dreamy. Rolling Hill Cabins, Shropshire – Kip Hideaways
My favourite destination in the UK is….
Wales. I love everything about it. The beautiful, empty beaches in Pembrokeshire, the breathtaking Cambrian Mountains and Elan Valley; the wild Llyn Peninsula where you can swim with wild seals and kayak past gigantic rock stacks; the foodie restaurants around Abergavenny; the charm and friendliness of Hay on Wye. And most of all, the accent!
Black Barn is our latest add in Wales, and it’s so special and great value: a stunning barn conversion surrounded by beautiful walking and near an award-winning pub.
Three items I never travel without are…
My kindle, a hammam towel for impromptu swims and ear plugs.
My favourite place in the world to skip the crowds is…
This wilderness near Oban in Scotland. Sarah and I spent 2 nights here in early April and it was utterly magical. Off grid, we were boated in, and once there we had to light fires to brew a morning coffee, and cook over flames too. But that forced us to slow right down and just sit in a deckchair waiting for water to boil, focusing instead on the views and seclusion. We swam, kayaked and paddleboarded on the loch, and kept marvelling at our insanely lovely cabins. Another great honeymoon option.
And finally, what’s next for Kip Hideaways…
We’re just launching Kip Experiences, which be collaborative creations with local foodie and wellness businesses, and creative people. Each will be bespoke, introducing guests to what’s really special about the locale of the hideaway as well as the property itself.
We’re also soon to launch Kip Kiosk – a place for members to shop the Kip aesthetic, with unique artisan products that feature in our hideaways.
Related links: Honeymoon Review: Almyra, Cyprus